Thursday, April 09, 2009

We went to Scofield last weekend for conference. I completely forgot to take pictures!!!!! This is very frustrating because there was still so much snow by the cabin. There was more snow there than there has ever been at this time before. And without pictures no one will believe me! Anyway, we went up Friday night and the men did some work with tile and stuff and we girlies watched Twilight. It was good stuff. Marcus did some playing outside in the snow on Saturday. The snow was piled so high by the cabin that he climbed up the little hill and could see into the cabin windows. I had to bring him down for a friend's birthday party on Saturday afternoon and believe it or not, it was still snowing! Anyway, my mom bought a converter box for the cabin and we watched conference on Sunday which was wonderful. We usually have to listen to it up there. The kids went sledding between sessions and then we packed up and came home!

I was thinking while I was there, about a tree falling in the forest. If no one is there, does it make a sound? If I'm alone in my classroom in the mornings and no one is there, do I still have to stand up and do the Star Spangled Banner and the pledge? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It makes me feel goofy standing up while I'm alone.

3 comments:

KT said...

I agree. I feel silly when I salute the flag alone, but disrespectful at the same time if I don't. Just like the tree-if no one is around, no one will know whether you do or don't.

I'd shoot for twice a week or something! :)

Elisa said...

I am laughing about the pledge. I would love to see you standing there alone, hand over heart, tears in your eyes.

Emily said...

I didn't know any other teachers had that same experience. My school does it every Monday during my prep period.

I have settled on not standing up, *sometimes* putting my hand on my heart, and just thinking it in my head. I figure that way I'm still showing respect, but not feeling quite as silly!