This is going to be an extremely boring blog. I've just been so consumed with homework that absolutely NOTHING has been happening. That is, up until last night. So I got two assignments sent back to me because I forgot to put certain terms in my essay or I forgot to specify the grade on a worksheet I created. Anyway, so I'm all irritated about that, but what are you going to do?Then, I held an activity last night with the mentors, youth and their families who participte in the mentoring program that I manage. So, the kids are being completely crazy and running around like maniacs. They wouldn't be quiet long enough for me to talk to them about goal setting and how to be successful at it. It would have taken 15 minutes tops, but instead it took about 5 because they just talked over me. No help from the parents either, and I was doing this activity alone. I had to haul in a roaster full of chili, 40 baked potatoes, and a cooler full of butter, cheese, sour cream, and a box full of supplies for the activity. We had those foam noodles to play games with and I tried to do some fun relay races and pass the noodle games, but they kept stealing them and putting them between their legs (if you know what I mean). Anyway, so I gave up on the lesson and the fun games and had them line up for dinner when one of the kids pukes on the floor. I just looked at his mom like "You know I'm not cleaning that up." So she did, and to be truthful, she was trying to control her kids but let's face it; they're not recommended for my program because they have a good handle on that sort of stuff. These are at-risk families and children. I won't go into details, but that should speak for itself.
Anyway, I felt like an utter failure. This is my 5th year with this program and suddenly I fall apart? Isn't this the way things go in your first month? I don't know, but last night was NOT fun.
So then, I start getting phone calls about one of the little girls in the primary in my ward. She's four. She died this morning at Primary Children's. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm in the primary presidency so I have to be involved in whatever needs to be done, and I'm one of the mother's visiting teachers. We're taking food in tomorrow. I'm not good at this sort of thing. I mean, would it help if I just went to their house and played the piano? That's about all I'm good for. Thankfully their family is very protective and I'm sure will have everything under control. We've been taking advice from a lady in our ward who has been director of a funeral home for as long as I can remember and she's been very helpful. I would just hate to say something insensitive or tacky, but I know that not saying anything isn't the way to go either, especially since I've known the mother since high school and I've known the daughter since she was in nursery with me. I feel like an ambulance chaser because I've been on the phone all morning with compassionate service, my visiting teaching partner, and the primary president.
As soon as I heard last night though I checked on my kids. Jolted me right out of my self absorption.





6 comments:
Julia and I had a cry about the little dancer on the phone today. So sad and so terrifying. I am sure you will do/say the right thing, you are a compassionate person. And when something bad happens to me, do haul the piano up here and play all day, that is exactly what I would want.
I am soooooo sorry about your experience the other night. I think you are just overspent so things are getting to you more than usual.
So sad!
From what it sounds like, you're doing an excellent job. Don't get too down...some days are like that.
Sad, sad day. Kristen worked on her the night she was brought in, but she couldn't say who it was, and we didn't find out until today. Really, it's OK sometimes to not say anything. Often, it's the hugs and shoulder to cry on that means the most.
I know what you mean about not knowing what to say, but wanting to say something. That is just the worst thing I can imagine happening. It makes me sick and so so sad for them.
I don't know what to say, I just feel bad for you too. I'm still in shock.
Hang in there!
Post a Comment